Monday, November 16, 2015

Title: A Crazy Week 

Well this week was a little crazy. To start with, on Tuesday I ended up having to leave my area and go back to Guatemala City to renew my visa! I was so sad because I had to miss lessons with some of our new investigators. But it ended up being pretty fun because I got to go with my roommate that I had in the MTC, Hermana Serrano, and another girl that was in the MTC at the same time as us. We left Tuesday afternoon and its a 6 hour ride so we didn't get there til pretty late. But we had a private taxi driver that worked for the church the entire time we were there so we were safe! We ate at McDonald's for dinner, which usually I absolutely hate but for some reason here any American food tastes like heaven to me. Anyway, we got to stay at a nice hotel that night and the next morning we went and started our journey at the immigration office. The church has a lady to help us through everything so we basically just had to stand there and wait while she did all the work. It was super slow though. After we finished our taxi driver took us to Taco Bell which again for some reason tasted wayyyy better than it ever has! We didn't get back to our area until like 10pm that night. It was the longest day ever. But I made it back safe and sound! 

Friday was so great! There is a lady we found who is inactive so we have been visiting her. We asked her last week if we could come by and do some service with her. She told us to come Friday. So when we got there we got to help her make tamales! So fun. Then she said we had to stay until they were done cooking so we could have some. Yuummmmy they were so delicious! Its a good thing I like corn though. For lunch that day we had of course tortillas, the tamales then at the next lesson atol, its a drink made of corn, then at our next lesson piñon, another drink made of corn. Holy cow... I thought I was going to be sick from all the food people gave us that day. Thank goodness everyday is not like that!

Something I learned this week: an entire day can be very bad and hard, but one thing can change the entire day into being one of the best days! We were having one of the hardest days. All of our lessons fell through because the people either weren't there or didn't have time to meet with us. So we were trying to contact on the streets. Well there was hardly anyone on the street so it made that hard as well. We were feeling a little discouraged and were ready for the day to be over. Well our last lesson of the day was with someone who we had contacted in the previous week in the street. Her name is Juana and she is around our age. We went to her house and began talking about the pamphlet that we had given her. She had actually read it which was so awesome! She explained to us that she has so much confusion right now because she is trying to figure out which church is true because there are so many. But in the Bible it says there is only one true church. We taught her the first lesson and invited her to church the next day. The cool thing was that on Sunday there was a special conference for only Guatemala and an apostle, Elder Bednar, was speaking at it! She wanted to come, so she, her sister and her daughter came. We passed by her house in the morning to get her and she asked us if we wanted to wear her corte!! Corte is the typical Guatemalan clothing and it is so cool! I want some of my own but I asked her how much it was and she said that its about 300-400$$!! They hand make the entire thing so I understand why. Anyway she is so awesome and I am so grateful that we were directed to Juana because this gospel is exactly what she has been searching for!

The thing that just made this week even crazier is yesterday I got attacked by two dogs! It was so scary. We were trying to contact some people and my comp said she wanted to, but they have mean dogs, so she wasn't sure. I said it was okay because I'm not afraid of dogs and I would go first. Well, I guess I needed some humbling because sure enough they ran around the corner and starting biting my legs! I must have screamed loud as we ran out to the street because people were running towards us. Luckily, two of them were nurses and when they saw my legs they ran back to there houses to get some stuff to clean out my cuts. Thank goodness they were there because I was freaking out and didn't know what to do. I called our mission nurse and the mission doctor prescribed me some antibiotics and cream, anddddd the dogs were vaccinated so everything is all good! And I learned my lesson that I need to be a little more cautious about the dogs here.

I love it here! I love the people here! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve them and the Lord. Hope everyone has a great week! 

Hermana Baird


Picture 1: Making tamales with Hermana Figueroa
Picture 2: Juana and her adorable daughter and sister!
Picture 3: Las niñas preciosa!



 4--Hermana Rodriguez and I at Rio San Juan!
5--Nuestra zona!
6--Mcdonalds in guatemala city!






No comments:

Post a Comment